Friday

Follow Friday - (#FF) with Jasalyn Thorne


Name: Jasalyn Thorne

Occupation: Photographer

Who is your role model/mentor: Love the work of Paolo Roversi, so moody and full of texture. Tim Walker is another favourite. His use of natural light is amazing.

What do you like most about your job: It’s the flexibility and creativity that our clients allow us on their wedding day to capture and create beautiful works of art for their lives and for their homes.

Daily ritual: First thing, hit the email, Facebook (of course); finish the day’s editing work, dinner with hubby and then some down time with my friend, ipod.

The most rewarding part of my job is: Hearing that our work allows the couple to relive their day and seeing the look on their face when they open up their beautiful custom album for the first time.

What has been your biggest strength that’s helped you succeed in your industry? I think you definitely have to be a people person and learn to work well with others. You, as a photographer are not the only person working on a client’s wedding and you have to be respectful of the other vendors that are working just as hard to make that day a success.

Memorable celebrity encounter/interview: Getting to photograph Rich Harden (an MLB pitcher for the Oakland Athletics) as he was a guest and close friend of one of our grooms. Jason was pretty excited.

Where do you go for some retail therapy? I love home decor stores but not so much for the items but I go to look at the packaging, I love paper and design, anything that sparkles! Often times I’ll buy something just because of the box it comes in.

Dream vacation spot? Anywhere with warm water as our favourite thing to do on vacation is snorkel. So if I had to pick one place, possibly the Maldives.

What has been your favourite event to attend? I would have to say WPPI (a photography convention) down in Las Vegas. Again, a perfect place for me, it’s so full of artistic design and gorgeous stores to shop at everywhere.

Favourite hangout: My couch, with my hubby and a good movie.

Favourite childhood memory: Going exploring with my Dad on Vancouver Island. Being out in Nature is another love of mine. I can never get enough of how intricate and beautiful our world is.

What is your favourite ice-cream flavor? Mint Chocolate Chip

If there was more time in the day you would: Design and create EVERYTHING in my sketchbook, projects ranging from packaging and artwork to chandeliers and inventions. I’m somewhat of a visual person, when I get a new idea I can see it completed and in its finished state and it makes me want to see it in a tangible form. It’s why I have Jason, to keep focused as an artist so I spend my time on the good ideas.

Favourite social network: Facebook, it’s much more visual than twitter.

Favourite Blog: A recent new favourite site is http://the99percent.com/ as it’s a great learning resource for us artists.

Last song you downloaded: Bach - Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major. I love movie soundtracks. Especially ones with a very moving feel to them.

We’ve recently launched our newest division, Portfolio Services, a commercial-style commission designed for the creative professional who is looking to fill their portfolio with a consistent look for their gallery of work. Images are one of, if not the most important thing in this digital age and images are the first thing clients see which can literally make or break that first contact.

Thank you Jasalyn for being CountDown Event's #FF this week - your photos are beautiful! To learn more about Jasalyn Thorn photography, see http://www.jasthorneps.com/

No comments:

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...